Carefully inspect the item(s) that you are interested in purchasing.
Pay particular attention to:
- Bed components
- Coffee tables
- Upholstered furniture
- Night stands
- Wall hangings
- End tables
- Comfort toys
Check both exterior and interior corners and crevices for signs of bed bug activity.
- Bed bugs (reddish-brown), eggs (white), cast skins (yellow) and fecal dots (black).
- Live and dead bed bugs | Fecal dots /stains | Cast skins | Eggs
- Inquire with shop owners or managers whether a system is in place to ensure that used items do not contain bed bugs and other pests. Ask for details to your satisfaction.
- Point out to the shop manager when items of interest look like they could be infested.
- Do not bring suspicious items into your transportation or residence or workplace without having them inspected by someone who is experienced with bed bugs.