Nature doesn’t sleep in winter. She might slow down as the mercury drops but winter wildlife is resilient, and active critters need to eat. If you’re encountering problems with wildlife near your home or business, hiring a wildlife removal company is likely to be your best solution.
Dealing with wild animals can be tricky. When it’s cold and snowy out, it’s even less fun. We cover some of the irksome animals that persist in all seasons and why we’re experts at wildlife removal in every season, especially winter.
What Animals are Active in the Winter?
Many common wildlife pests remain active during the winter months. Their behaviors may change to adapt with the season but that doesn’t mean they’re not out causing trouble around your property.
Here are some of the more notorious off-season offenders:
- Squirrels are a nuisance all year-round. They get into attics and crawlspaces, dig in gardens, chew electrical wires and nest in inconvenient places. Winter is no exception. In the fall they hide caches of food around your yard and in your gardens and planters. In cold lean times they will uncover those reserves causing potential damage to your flower beds, bulbs and landscaping. They also scavenge for food in garbage cans and dumpsters leaving an unpleasant mess in their bushy-tailed wake.
- Rabbits don’t hibernate nor do they store food. That means they’re in your yard foraging all winter. Rabbits are ground feeders who uncover twigs and leaves. In winter they also eat bark and branches. Rabbits can do significant damage to bushes and shrubs during winter when other food sources aren’t available. They also leave their calling card in the form of small pellets everywhere. During the spring thaw, this can be an unpleasant mess in your yard.
- Racoons slow down in winter. They don’t hibernate but they do spend much of their time curled up together in logs, stumps or under your porch. While their metabolism slows, they still need to eat periodically. They will seek out easy sources of food like your garbage cans. They might also see your chimney as an opportunity to warm up. Make no mistake, these unlikely Santas don’t bring any gifts into your home!
- Deer change their behaviors in winter. They become social animals and create deer yards with others. The herd will choose an area with abundant food and collectively tramples down the snow so that they are able to escape predators. Depending where deer create these yards, they can do significant damage to your property, especially if you own a farm or orchard.
If you’ve experienced these or other winter wildlife pests, you may be looking for solutions to the seasonal encroachment.
Why Hire Wildlife Control Experts in Winter?
Winter is slippery. Wild animals are even slipperier. And dangerous. Hiring an expert who understands wild animal behavior and knows how to safely and humanely remove them will make life easier for you and the animals in question.
Varment Guard not only removes nuisance wildlife, but we also offer long-term solutions to make sure your problem doesn’t reoccur. We focus on five areas of wildlife control in every season:
- Trapping – we use safe and effective live traps to remove animals.
- Exclusion – we look at ways to keep animals wild and away from your home or business.
- Habitat modification and cultural control – we study animal behavior as a means of control.
- Structural damage repair – we repair damage to prevent wildlife from returning.
- Repellent and prevention – we use the latest and safest wildlife deterrents.
Our trained professionals use safe and humane methods of animal control to ensure that your wildlife problem is fully addressed. We are thorough at every step from identification to removal to cleanup and prevention.
Don’t Let Winter Wildlife Leave You Out in the Cold
You’ve got pests and you’ve got questions. Call or contact Varment Guard today to get real answers and real solutions to the critters invading your winter wonderland. We’ll make sure they won’t bah humbug you anymore.